In an effort to support Breast Cancer Awareness I wanted to post a blog about just that - Breast Cancer.
Here are the facts:
- About 1 in 8 women in the US will develop breast cancer over the course of their lifetime.
- Breast Cancer death rates are 2nd only to lung cancer.
- Early detection saves lives.
The 2 best forms of early detection are:
- Under the age of 40: Monthly Self Exams. Women should perform monthly self exams to help locate potentially cancerous masses before they spread to other parts of the body. Women who find lumps or irregularities are able to see treatment while the cancer is in an early stage.
- Over the age of 40: Regular Breast Cancer Screening. And by this I mean Mammogram. The biggest advantage of regular breast cancer screening is that it can recognize warning signs before you notice any symptoms. A breast cancer screening can locate a mass before it is large enough to feel during a self-exam. The earlier the cancer is caught the higher the survival rate.